Homemade Pate Recipe Pork And Mushroom

Homemade Pate Recipe Pork And Mushroom

Homemade Pate Recipe

I have been fancying pate for ages and I often picked a pack up from the supermarket and then put it back again. The reason being is the expense of the supermarket pate. I just could not justify the expense especially when you can save money and make you won pate for pennies

Now looking closely at the supermarket ingredient list I shall never buy it again. I will always make my own homemade pate recipe. Most pates bought from supermarkets are made from pork liver and not. chicken liver as I always thought. The other down side of supermarket pate is 63% is made up of meat, well kinda meat.

fennel in a frying pan as used to flavour the homemade pate

Pate The Ingredients And When to Buy

The chicken livers to make the pate you can buy frozen for 60p per 250g, its always available. I usually add pork to my pate recipe and I always for a reduced piece of pork. This recipe I stumbled across a couple of pieces of belly pork reduced, perfect as belly pork has enough fat content for it al to bind the recipe together when it sets. Just cut there rind of and use the rest.

I also grabbed a fennel bulb that was reduced to lees than half price so that would give it great flavour as well. The great thing about homemade pate is that you can add or take away any ingredients you wish.

Pork Pate Recipe

Karl Morley
This pork pate recipe with chicken livers is so easy to make and taste better than anything you have ever bought
No ratings yet
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Course Appetizer
Cuisine European
Servings 4 people

Ingredients
  

  • 250 g chicken livers
  • 200 g of pork better if its quite fatty pork cubed
  • 1 small onion
  • 15 g of fennel freeze the rest for stews
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • 2 sprigs of thyme
  • 50 ml cream
  • 3 tsp of masala wine of brandy
  • 3 mushrooms chopped brown capped add more flavour

Instructions
 

  • In a frying pan start add the onion finely chopped and allow to sweat a little
  • add the cubed pork, season well cook for 4 minutes turning it so it browns on all sides
  • Now add the chopped fennel, crushed garlic thyme and mushrooms
  • Allow the mushrooms to start cooking and then add the chicken livers
  • Once the chicken livers have cooked (about 5 minutes) add the masala wine and cook out for a few minutes
  • Now add the cream to the pan and cook through.
  • The next step is to add all the ingredients into a blender
  • Blend until you have a nice smooth consistency, add more cream if the mixture looks dry
  • Line a small tin with cling film and fill with the pate, cover the top with the excess cling film
  • Now place a weight on top of the pate, I used a tin of beans,
  • place in the fridge to allow to cool and set serve with something as simple as toast

Notes

I make 2 small bread tins worth, one I keep in the fridge and eat within the week. The other I slice into cubes (enough to cover to slices of toast) wrap in cling film and then freeze, I take it out of the freezer the night before and leave it in the fridge for breakfast in the morning.

Nutrition

Serving: 110g
Keyword Pork Pate Recipe
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!

Where Did Pate Originally Come From

Pate originated from necessity to use up what was ever was available. Not wanting to waste anything from an animal the peasants of old used offal to make pate. Blending the livers makes them smooth and creamy in texture. It wasn’t long before the rich cornered the markets and pate became and indulgence of the rich.

Commonly made in Europe in the Middle Ages, however it was the French who popularised the dish of Pate. There are stories that the famous chef Le Escoffier made the dish when he was low on meat and needed to feed a large number of dignitaries. He did this by using the livers and off cuts of meat and adding other ingredients.

Other stories say that Jean-Joseph Clause and that he waswarded a gift of twenty pistols by King Louis XVI. Where ever this marvel of a recipe originated from no one is really sure. However today the most people think of pate they imagine France and occasionally Brussel.

Marla wine maturing in barrels
Standard Supermarket ingredients

Pork Liver (36%), Pork (27%), Water, Pork Fat, Pork Rind, Onion, Salt, Pasteurised Free Range Egg, Potato Starch, Preservative: Potassium Lactate; Cows’ MilkProteins, Gelling Agent: Carob Gum; Dextrose, Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid; Preservative: Sodium Nitrite; Pepper Extract, Nutmeg Extract, Mace Extract, Ginger Extract, Onion Extract, Marjoram, Allspice, Coriander Extract, Chilli Extract.

£4.00 a Kilo
Expensive Supermarket Pate

Pork Fat (36%), Pork Liver (27%), Water, Onion, Rice Starch, Cream (Cows’ Milk), Sugar, Salt, Maltodextrin, Dried Free Range Egg White, Apples, Onion Powder, Thyme, Pork Gelatine, Antioxidant: Sodium Ascorbate; White Pepper, Black Pepper, Caramelised Sugar, Mace, Nutmeg, Ginger, Sage, Preservative: Sodium Nitrite; Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract.

£14.00 a Kilo

If you look at the ingredients you actually only get 27% of liver and then 36% of fat, yes you need the fat to carry some flavour and to help with the texture. However if you add these 2 ingredients together that only comes to 63%, so what exactly the other 37% made up off ?

The other question is what do you get extra for an extra £10 per kilo. Thats over tree times more expensive and the ingredient list doesn’t look like it can justify that cost at all.

the pork for homemade chicken liver pate
ideally York pork needs to be cooked a little more than this
Can I freeze my homemade pate

yes you can freeze your homemade pate, it will last at least 3 months in the freezer. If in small potion size remove from the freezer around 4 hours before serving

How long will my homemade pork pate last in the fridge

your homemade pork pate recipe will last in the fridge for 3 to 4 days, ensure it is stored in a sealed container. Or wrap in clingfilm to avoid any cross contamination

2 thoughts on “Homemade Pate Recipe Pork And Mushroom”

  1. Perfect for holiday entertaining! I’ve only made chicken liver pate, but I’m certain I’d love your pork and mushroom version.

Comments are closed.