This simple yet, budget friendly, low calorie delicious dish features shredded cabbage sautéed in a combination of butter and oil. Then infused with the aromatic flavours of fennel seeds and caraway seeds. As the cabbage softens and becomes golden, the nutty crunch of toasted hazelnuts and almonds is added to elevate the texture and add a delightful twist.
This recipe showcases the versatility of cabbage, transforming it into a mouthwatering side dish that is both comforting and full of flavor. Perfect for accompanying any meal or as a standalone vegetarian delight, this sautéed cabbage dish will impress both family and guests alike. With a handful of store cupboard ingredients and minimal effort, you’ll be able to enjoy a wholesome and satisfying dish bursting with enticing flavours. The other great bonus is that it is a wheat free recipe
Health Benefits From The Added Spices and Nuts
- Fennel seeds are rich in antioxidants, which help protect the body against damage from harmful free radicals.
- They contain dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and promotes a healthy digestive system.
- Fennel seeds are a good source of minerals such as calcium, iron, magnesium, and manganese.
- They also contain vitamins A and C, which contribute to immune function and overall health.
- Caraway seeds are known for their digestive properties and can help alleviate symptoms like bloating and indigestion.
- They contain antioxidants that may have anti-inflammatory effects and support overall health.
- Caraway seeds are a good source of dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and promotes satiety.
- They provide small amounts of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, calcium, and iron.
Toasted Hazelnuts and Almonds:
- Hazelnuts and almonds are nutrient-dense nuts that offer a range of health benefits.
- They are high in healthy fats, including monounsaturated fats, which are beneficial for heart health.
- Both nuts are excellent sources of vitamin E, an antioxidant that helps protect cells from damage.
- They provide dietary fiber, which aids in digestion and helps maintain a healthy gut.
- Hazelnuts and almonds are also rich in minerals such as magnesium, potassium, and calcium.
By incorporating fennel seeds, caraway seeds, and toasted nuts into the sautéed shredded cabbage recipe, you’ll not only enhance the flavors but also add a dose of additional nutrients and potential health benefits to the dish.
The Italian Sausage
The sausage I got from M&S and it’s part of their food collection range, it’s actually a pork fennel chilli sausage. Very tasty as well
Sausage Nutritional Information
|Typical Values||per 100g:|
|of which saturates||7.4g|
|of which sugars||0.9g|
Pork Fennel Chilli Sausage Ingredients
Outdoor Bred Pork (85%), Water, Parsley, Gluten Free Crumb (Rice Flour, Chickpea Flour, Cornflour, Salt, Dextrose), Jalapeño Chilli, Salt, Roasted Garlic Purée, Basil, Ground Fennel, Onions, Ground Spices (Cayenne Pepper, Ginger, Nutmeg, Pimentoes, Mace), Stabiliser: E450, Roasted Mushrooms, Tomato Paste, Oregano, Mushroom Paste (Water, Concentrated Mushrooms, Yeast Extract, Salt, Dried Mushrooms, Sugar, Flavouring, Cornflour), Lemon Zest, Garlic Purée, Cracked Black Pepper, Sundried Tomato Paste (Water, Sunflower Oil, Sundried Tomatoes, White Wine Vinegar, Dried Garlic, Salt, Ground Black Pepper, Basil, Rosemary), Antioxidant: Ascorbic Acid, Preservative: E223 (Sulphites), Rapeseed Oil, Vegetable Stock Paste (Water, Salt, Yeast Extract, Dried Carrot Juice, Onions, Dried Onion Juice, Carrots, Leeks, Sugar, Potato Flakes, Dried Leek Juice, Concentrated Mushrooms, Cornflour, Thyme, Ground White Pepper, Ground Bay Leaves), Cornflour, Thyme, Dried Porcini Mushrooms, Sausages filled into Natural Pork Casings
Contains Sulphur Dioxide/Sulphites
Sautéed Cabbage With Spices
- 1/4 Pointed cabbage
- 1 tsp Caraway seeds
- 1 tsp Fennel seeds
- 2 tsp Toasted hazelmuts chopped
- 1 tsp Almond flakes
- 5 g Butter
- 1 tsp Olive oil
- 1 twists Salt from a salt mill
- 3 twists Pepper from a pepper mill but do season to taste
- First shred the cabbage on the mandolin, If you don't have one then cut the cabbage as finely as possible.
- Start off by toasting your nuts in the frying pan on a gentle heat
- Heat the oil in the pan, then add the shredded cabbage, cook for around 5 mins
- At this point your nuts should be toasted so remove them from the pan and allow to cool
- Add the 1 tsp Caraway seeds and 1 tsp Fennel seeds to the pan cook for around 4 minutes
- Chop the nuts and then add them to the pan with the cabbage, also add the 5 g Butter to give the cabbage a nice finish.
- Keep cooking for about another 3/4 minutes, or until the cabbage reaches your desired consistency. Ideally its best served when it still has a bite
If you like cabbage then try this delicious Miso Cabbage
Happiest in the kitchen feeding the 3 children who are constantly hungry. Lucky enough to have worked in a Pro kitchen on a voluntary basis to learn the tricks of the trade.. Buckinghams The restaurant with one Table. With Chef Nick Buckingham.(RIP)