Indulge in the warmth and comfort of this Keto Chicken Soup, a perfect blend of nourishing chicken bone broth, tender shredded chicken, and fresh, low-carb vegetables like courgette and spinach. Packed with subtle garlic and optional herbs flavours, this soup is a delight to your taste buds and aligns seamlessly with your keto dietary needs. It’s an ideal choice for a wholesome, satisfying meal that keeps you on track with your health goals.
It is a low effort maximum flavour dish, ideal for busy midweek days. All the ingredients can be taken out of the freezer in the morning. Check here for your cheapest chicken cuts.
Keto Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 saucepan
- 2 cups chicken bone broth
- 1/2 cup cooked chicken shredded
- 1/2 cup courgette (zucchini) chopped
- 1/4 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup spinach (from the freezer) chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced or grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the Broth: In a medium-sized pot, bring the chicken bone broth to a very gentle boil.
- Add Vegetables: Add the chopped zucchini and sliced mushrooms to the broth. Let them simmer until they are tender.
- Add Chicken and Seasonings: Add the shredded chicken, minced garlic, and your choice of herbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for a few more minutes.
- Add Spinach: Just before you're ready to serve, add the chopped spinach to the soup. It will cook quickly in the hot broth.
- Serve Hot: Once the spinach is wilted and the soup is hot, it's ready to serve. Enjoy your keto-friendly chicken soup!
Time Saving Tips
At the weekends I do cook batches of chicken bone broth and then freeze the chicken meat separately in portions. Before I start work in the morning I just take a portion of broth and meat out of the freezer. By the end of the day they will be defrosted and ready to use. (Of course if you are more organised you can defrost them in the fridge the night before)
Adding More Flavour To The Keto Soup
When freezing cooked meats I keep them pretty neutral in flavour. This way I can always decide on the day (in the moment) what additional flavours I want to bring to this dish. I have probably never had the same chicken keto soup recipe twice.
Ingredients to add Flavour
- Sesame oil (add towards the very end of cooking or when serving)
- Toasted sesame seeds (add when serving or allow you guest to help themselves)
- Pesto (pesto recipe without pine nuts)
- Herbs (parsley, dill, chives, spring onion/scallions)
- A squeeze of lemon or lime juice
- Fish sauce
- Miso paste (add at the beginning and season the dish towards the end)
- Soya Sauce (Dark, light, sweet)
- Chilli oil or flakes
- Frozen coconut cubes (add during cooking)
- smoked sea salt
Occasionally I will add more protein to this dish rather than the vegetables. Ideally with more protein you may need to add more fat, a simple solution would be adding butter to the broth. Here is a list of proteins I like to add to the keto broth.
- Chorizo (add during cooking)
- Frozen belly pork (defrosted in the morning)
- 2 potions of cooked frozen chicken
- Frozen prawns (add during cooking)
- Boiled eggs
- Char Sui frozen (defrosted in the morning)
Yes, miso soup is keto-friendly! Miso soup, apart from being quite low in calories, is also an incredibly low-carb soup
Use double (heavy) cream as a keto-friendly thickening option for your soups and broths.
Happiest in the kitchen feeding the 3 children who are constantly hungry. Lucky enough to have worked in a Pro kitchen on a voluntary basis to learn the tricks of the trade.. Buckinghams The restaurant with one Table. With Chef Nick Buckingham.(RIP)