Cheats Keema Rice
I confess I do not like my curry dishes to hot with chilli as it make my eyes water and my head perspire. No its not funny and I haven’t much hair on top so it makes for a little shimmering water fountain which trust me is not attractive when your eating out with friends. Strangely though the spice I use to make my cheats keema rice has little effect on me. The chilli loving friends however find it hot so it becomes my turn to giggle inwards at their flushed faces and hurried beer drinking to quench the heat.
Table of contents
Keema is a traditional meat dish from Indian. The word keema is probably borrowed from the Turkish language meaning minced meat. Usually mutton or Lamb. (source=wiki)
Easy Keema Rice
After looking at a few keema rice recipes I was a little overwhelmed as to some of the lengths they go to to get this quick easy dish to the table. I conjured up this cheats keema rice recipe at the 11th hour when friends decided on a surprise visit one weekend so I had to make things stretch a little further and use what I had in the kitchen cupboards. All it takes is 4 ingredients and less than 10 minutes actual cooking time. You can add extra ingredients if you so do desire to bulk out the meat.
If I make to much of the cheats keema mince then it can be used to enhance any other part of your Indian feast. Some great ways to use up the mince meat is to make your own naan bread and stuff the cold meat inside before cooking the naan. You could also add some wilted spinach (or Peas, small diced cooked potatoes) to the mixture and then wrap in filo triangles for tasty easy starters. Instructions below
Cheats Keema Rice Samosas
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F, gas mark 6). Taking one sheet of filo pastry at a time (keeping the other sheet covered to prevent it from drying out). Cut the pastry widthways into 6 strips, each 30 cm (12 in) long. Brush them with a little of the oil.
- Lay one of the pastry strips lengthways in front of you and put a rounded tbsp of the filling in the middle of the end nearest to you. Pick up one end corner and fold it diagonally over the filling to make a triangular shape, flattening the filling slightly. Continue folding the strip over in a triangular shape until you come almost to the end. Trim off excess pastry from the end. Repeat with the remaining filo pastry and filling to make 12 triangles in all.
- Place the filo triangles on a non-stick baking sheet, brush the tops with the remaining oil and scatter over the crushed coriander seeds. Bake for 10–15 minutes or until golden.
The added benefit of this recipe is the superfood qualities of the spices, cayenne pepper and turmeric.
Cayenne pepper consumption dilates the blood vessels and speeds the metabolism due to the high amounts of capsaicin. With the consumption of cayenne peppers, the amount of heat the human body puts off is influenced. In animal studies, capsaicin has the ability to boost metabolism, which in turn causes weight loss. This increases circulation and blood flow to all major organs, facilitating oxygen and nutrient delivery. Capsaicin may support a healthy energy balance while suppressing appetite. Capsaicin has been shown to increase energy expenditure, so acts as a metabolism booster and is beneficial in long-term weight loss. A correlation has been shown between substrate oxidation and capsaicin. Capsaicin treatment sustained fat oxidation during weight maintenance, but did not affect weight regain after modest weight loss.Wiki
Authentic Keema Rice
If you are looking for a more authentic keema rice then you will need a full selection of spices. Not only that you will need a little more time to let the flavours develop some more. The spices you will need are coriander seeds, cumin seeds, chilli powder, turmeric and crushed garlic. You will also need some Kasuri Methi (fenugreek leaves) and tomatoes for the full authentic keema recipe.
If you would like the full recipe go to My tamarind Kitchen .
Keema Naan Bread
Try making you own homemade curry, start with the basic curry sauce. Then you can make the naan bread and when you have mastered that you can stuff the naan with your keema mix. Its so simple to make keema naan, just follow the basic naan bread instructions but roll out the dough thiner as you are going to double wrap. Once the dough is rolled add a spoonful of the keema mix to the dough and spread it out thinly. You don’t want to much mixture in the naan bread as it will make it to wet. Fold over the dough enclosing the keema mixture.Make sure the dough is sealed al the way around so the keema doesn’t leak during cooking.
one dish you must try if you like your curries mild is a aubergine and sweet potato curry
- 1 pack Microwave rice supermarket brand
- 2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 200 g Beef mince lamb or pork does also work
- 1 Onion Optional
- 2 tbsp Oil Vegetable or sunflower
- Cook the microwave rice and allow to cool1 pack Microwave rice
- If you are using an onion dice and gently fry in. pan until translucent, season1 Onion, 2 tbsp Oil
- Now add the mince to the pan and spice fry until the meat is browned (around 5/6 minutes)2 tsp cayenne pepper, 1 tsp turmeric, 200 g Beef mince
- Next add the cooled microwave rice to the pan and cook until piping hot
Dishes To Serve With Easy Cook Keema Rice
1 Packet of Microwave rice (plain)
2 tsp of Cayene pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp turmeric (optional)
200g mince meat
1 onion (optional)
salt & pepper
It can be cooked in about 5 minutes especially if your using microwave rice
ideally the long grain white rice is used in keema rice
Happiest in the kitchen feeding the 3 children who are constantly hungry. Lucky enough to have worked in a Pro kitchen on a voluntary basis to learn the tricks of the trade.. Buckinghams The restaurant with one Table. With Chef Nick Buckingham.(RIP)