Once you have mastered the easy egg fried rice then you can create your very own special fried rice.
The easiest thing to add to your special fried rice is frozen peas and sweetcorn. The next would be frozen peppers in small bite size pieces ( always buy a big bag of fresh peppers, slice and freeze for a multitude of dishes) The special fried rice is a classic Chinese rice dish. I am a certified carnivore so the meat content for me is a real treat. Add you own belly pork (cooked as a whole slab then cut into small portions in the freezer). You could use leftover ham or a selection from my frozen meats recommendations.
Once the pork has part defrosted cut off the tough skin then dice into bitesize pieces. This helps defrost it much quicker especially as we all have busy life’s. Another great freezer staple is cubed pieces of ham leftover from roasting a large Sunday gammon roast. (great for other dishes as well). Onions ! some days I do some days I don’t, if I do then I chop them quite fine, cooking them first so they get a lovely brown crispy edge to add texture to the dish.
Special Fried Rice Possibilities
The possibilities are endless to creating your very own Special fried rice. The best day for creating a special fried rice is midweek as we always have some leftovers from the Sunday roast in the fridge. Chicken, beef, broccili, whatever you may have left, just dice into small cubes and add a few splashes of marinade for 5 minutes.
Sweet Hosin Sauce
Special Egg Fried Rice Cooking Equipment
Don’t you need a wok to cook Chinese food. No any good cook uses what they have to hand.! We always cook our easy egg fried rice in a small non stick frying pan. We also have non stick woks, one medium along with a large one. I gave up with the authentic carbon Chinese wok as the non stick I find more versatile. You don’t have to spend a fortune to get a good wok so shop around and choose wisely.
Special fried rice can be served either as a quick snack, a side dish to your main meal. If you serve special fried rice it can be a meal in itself, versatility is the name of this dish. It is a great easy quick dish and great cheap meal for one person.
One of the many Traditional Chinese food dishes
Seafood For Egg Fried Rice
Another great food group for the special fried rice is shellfish. They are great straight from the freezer especially prawns in the special fired rice. If you are feeling a little braver then you could add cockles or even mussels to your egg fried rice
You can safely keep cooked rice in the fridge for 3 days
Special Fried Rice
- 1 wok
- 1 cooked bag of microwave rice
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 spring onion Finely chopped
- 3 oz frozen peas
- 50 grams belly pork thinly sliced
- 20 grams frozen prawns slightly defrosted
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 3 tsp soya sauce light
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp chopped chilli optional
- Pre cook microwave rice as packet instructions and allow to cool1 cooked bag of microwave rice
- remove pork and prawns from freezer to allow them to defrost a little
- heat the oil in the wok until its about to smoke then add the garlic, chilli, 5 spice and ginger into the pan and cook for 30 seconds1 tsp cooking oil, 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice, 1 tsp chopped garlic, 1 tsp chopped ginger, 1 tsp chopped chilli
- Now throw in the belly pork and prawns and cook for 3/4 mins on a high heat50 grams belly pork, 20 grams frozen prawns
- now add the cooled rice cook for 2 minutes and then add the egg, cook for 2 minutes1 egg, 1 cooked bag of microwave rice
- then add the frozen peas and the soy sauce cook for 3 minutes3 oz frozen peas, 3 tsp soya sauce
- finish by adding the sesame oil and spring onions, stir through and serve1 tsp sesame oil, 1 spring onion
Happiest in the kitchen feeding the 3 children who are constantly hungry. Lucky enough to have worked in a Pro kitchen on a voluntary basis to learn the tricks of the trade.. Buckinghams The restaurant with one Table. With Chef Nick Buckingham.(RIP)