Narkel puli pitha/Heavenly Coconut Stuffed Dumpling
Preparation Time: 30 minute
Cook Time: 20 minute
Total Time: 50 minute
Recipe Type: Breakfast, Brunch, Snack, Dessert
- 1 cup date jaggery (Gur)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cups desiccated coconut, unsweetened
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cups rice flour
- 1 ½ cup water
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Oil for deep frying
How to make the recipe:
- Boil water and add the gur/Jaggery.
- As gur melts add coconut to the pan. Cook stirring often until the mixture is semi sticky but not runny
Make pitha/dumpling dough:
- Boil water. Add salt and oil.
- Add rice flour to boiling water and keep stirring with a wooden spoon to form a firm but soft and not sticky dough. Adjust flour accordingly.
- Knead well for about 3-4 minutes.
- Take a portion of the dough and roll it out as thick tortilla, about a quarter of an inch thick.
- Cut out circles with a cookie cutter.
- Place a small amount of coconut filling on each circle. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
- Brush the edges of with water and seal tightly to form a crescent (semi-circular) shape.
- Heat oil.
- Fry the narikel puli pitha in medium heat until the dough is cooked through and slightly golden. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Adjust water and four for the dough depending on the quality of flour.
- You can also use beef or chicken as an alternative option of coconut.
Will Narkel puli pitha float your new year. You may want to start with
Happiest in the kitchen feeding the 3 children who are constantly hungry. Lucky enough to have worked in a Pro kitchen on a voluntary basis to learn the tricks of the trade.. Buckinghams The restaurant with one Table. With Chef Nick Buckingham.(RIP)