I love rice because its so versatile and it can be turned into any cuisine just with a few extra ingredients. It is also perfect if you are cooking meals for one. Make a double portion and save half for the next night different flavour. You may be like me and no expert at cooking rice, I do try and I have a pot to help me.
However my go to rice is the microwave rice, I know but it saves so much time and mess. The Sainsbury’s home brand rice packets are only around 60p a much and perfect for a cheap dinner idea. I only ever buy the plain rice and then add my own flavouring to the rice. Nothing better than cheap rice dishes to bring a smile to the face.
What Type Of Rice To Use
You can use long grain rice or Basmati rice, I suggest 32grams of rice per adult (dry rice weight). The basmati rice needs to be soaked for at least 30 minutes before cooking
So I have made a few different dishes from my microwave rice and I just fancied something a little different.
I Fancied Some Indian Rice
I have just googled the ingredients to ensure there isn’t an exact match to what I did. When I invent a new dish I just think about all the tastes I like in that style of cooking. Yes I am bound to have eaten some similar recipes or even read them before. If there is any complete copy of a recipe it is unintentional and just a coincidence of my memories.
So for this Indian rice I wanted some slightly crispy onions in there and some toasted almonds. The next ingredient was some thinly sliced garlic browned but not burnt. I had mushrooms in the fridge that needed using so obviously they were going in. Just one more ingredient to give it that Indian rice edge, I was thinking turmeric but decided against it. Then after going through the cupboards I found the perfect spice, green cardamon. I broke open the green shells and popped the seeds into the rice. Yes I should have ground them up first, I realise that now. I was just to eager to get it in my tummy.
Indian Style Rice And
I had some chicken left from the other day so I just added a spicy satay to it, I know not exactly Indian but at the time it was yum. After all it was only about the Indian rice that I wanted to eat, simple clean flavours. Nice texture contrast between the crispy onions, almonds with the soft rice. You can make this easy keema rice recipe.
Indian Style Fried Rice
- 1 packet microwave rice Plain or Basmati
- 2 pods Green Cardamon seeds released
- 1 tsp Oil
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 clove Garlic thinly sliced
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- 1 knob of butter
- Microwave the rice per packet instructions (usually 2 minutes)
- Remove rice from packet into a bowl and separate with a fork and allow to cool
- Place the sliced onion into a plastic container with a splash of oil and salt, loose cover and microwave for 2 minutes. This will remove the moisture from the onions and make them easier to crisp up in the pan
- Add the microwave onions and the green cardamom seeds to the pan (medium to high heat) with a little oil, 30 seconds later add the sliced garlic.
- Once the garlic starts to change colour add the rice and turmeric, stir quickly as this will reduce the temputure of the pan and stop the onions and garlic colouring any further
- Add the turmeric and butter and cook through the rice until pipping hot
Dishes To Serve With Indian Style Fried Rice
More Curry Dishes
Happiest in the kitchen feeding the 3 children who are constantly hungry. Lucky enough to have worked in a Pro kitchen on a voluntary basis to learn the tricks of the trade.. Buckinghams The restaurant with one Table. With Chef Nick Buckingham.(RIP)